Thursday 17 January 2013

January 17th – Passed the magic 50k mark – 51,913 words to date.

Seeing as I didn’t really get going on this challenge till the 3rd of the month, the fact I’m now passed 50,000 words is good progress. I daren’t try and calculate a revised target based on my output of the last fifteen days - that would be altogether too frightening.

I’ve managed 2,900 words today and reached an important scene change so it’s a good place to stop and pick it up tomorrow. I’ve heard about people like Stephen King and Peter K Hamilton who write 2,000 words a day and quite literally stop when they hit the number. I don’t think they do stop in mid-sentence, but they do stop in mid-paragraph or mid-scene. That would be very hard for me to do. Not that I’m as good as them, and maybe that’s the difference. They’re good enough to do that and pick it up again the next day. I’m not, for sure.

So 51,913 words, since the start of the year. Looking back it’s starting to seem a little crazy to attempt it, but I’m more than just on course, I’m within a hundred words of being two days in advance of the target.

Got to get busy on other things now, too much “stuff” to do. In part it’s a good job it’s snowing again, can’t go out in this. We are expected to get some serious snowfall overnight and tomorrow, almost blizzard conditions according to the forecast. Best stay indoors and just keep writing then.

Talk to y’all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment