Thursday 21 February 2013

February 21st. – 163,239.

A spit day today, with a piece of retail therapy, and lunch out interrupting the writing flow. Not that ham egg and chips at a supermarket café should be construed as a real lunch, but hey, it was good, it was cheap and at least in this country at the moment, it looked like the meat it was supposed to be!

Still I’ve hit 2,885 words, and looking back at earlier posts I can see where a critical piece of my thinking has changed. I used to take the approach that I couldn’t leave something mid-scene and then pick it up twenty or so hours later and be able to continue. In fact, last month I was even critical of people like Stephen King and Peter Hamilton for doing that. Now, I’m doing the exact same thing, writing till I’ve hit my target, then putting it to one side to pick up other work, or life issues, and coming back to it the next day irrespective of where I am in the scene, chapter or book.

I suppose it goes to show, you can teach an old dog, new tricks.

By the way, I’ve worked out I’m averaging between 200 and 300 words per post to this blog, nearer the 300 on average so if we assumed that to be 270 (because I’m not so anal that I’m going to go back and count every word) then for 47 posts, that would add another 12,690 words to my progress, putting me another 4 and ½ days ahead of target.

 

1 comment:

  1. No, I don't count ships as a real lunch either - too crunchy and the masts get in your teeth ;)

    ReplyDelete