Tuesday 5 February 2013

February 5th – 111,001 Words

It’s a good job I’m not counting in binary, isn’t it? Wouldn’t be doing so well with that number would I? Anybody know what it is? A pure fluke, I wrote the last sentence for today, read it back to myself and realised I’m missed a crucial the in the middle of it. Otherwise it would have been a very suspicious looking round number.

So a total of 3,087 words today, and I’ve had to stop in order to prepare for the writing critique group tonight. Three very different pieces - all of which demand some attention from me.

I followed the anonymous advice from when I mentioned my idea for a Steampunk story earlier in this blog, and actually wrote the first 1,000 words of a scene. Well, at 2,000 words on my main w.i.p. I had reached the end of one scene and didn’t really want to start another.

Than 1,000 word start means I now have something to build on – it’s my turn to submit something for my Speculative fiction critique group at the end of the month, and submission deadline is Friday. My main w.i.p. isn’t suitable for that group (they don’t do romance) and I guess Steampunk is right up their alley.

My problem is I’ve so far done very little research into the modern mores of the genre – but I felt a compelling need to see if I could get the idea down on paper (or rather screen) and see if the voice works. For me, that’s what a critique group is. for I hate it when someone takes something polished to within an inch of its life to a critique group merely to preen and bask in adulation. That belies the meaning of a critique, and I find people like that won’t accept criticism, however constructive, even so.

By the way, I have corrected the unfortunate typo in yesterday’s post – honestly my parents do not own an oven whose door can defecate in the kitchen! Well, not for much longer anyway, seeing its replacement has been ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment