Friday 5 April 2013

April 5th – 298,503.

I guess I’ll have to wait till tomorrow to pass the milestone of 300,000 words, having written 2,943 words today in a little over 80 minutes. Slightly slower than yesterday but still a pace I wouldn’t have thought possible only a few weeks ago.

As I said before, if I could bottle and sell it, I’d make a fortune, but I can’t really put my finger on it. Bearing in mind, I can’t actually touch type – I come from a generation where keyboard skills were not something you learned as a young man, indeed we lived so far out in the sticks, the bank statements on my first bank account were hand written. My son works in a bank, but when I left school, if you went for a job in a bank, you had to pass tow tests, mental arithmetic was one, but by far the most important was the hand writing test. (Which I would most assuredly have failed!). In fact, when I went to work at my father’s accountant’s office during the school holidays, I wasn’t allowed near an adding machine, I had to work it all out in my head for the first two summers, and only then I was trusted with the monstrously large machine. The very first job we had to do was check the client’s bank statements added up.  I guess it was a different existence then.

Still writing quickly, especially as this piece is in first person, is lending an immediacy to the manuscript that I think is going to be important. Especially now, as we are about to introduce a new menagerie of characters into the soup, giving yet more scope for some interactions and above all some tension between them and the heroine.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment